This savory Mushroom, Bacon and Green Onion Spread is a perfect hearty appetizer or snack for holiday get-togethers or any time. Serve it as a warm dip with breadsticks or veggies. On Christmas Day, I served it chilled as a cracker spread, and it was a huge hit, especially with one of my brothers-in-law, who repeatedly made sure I knew how much he liked it.
This recipe may be made ahead and re-warmed over very low heat. Remember, keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Don’t leave it out at room temperature for hours. Serve it in a small crockpot with a “warm” setting. I spread it in a small heatproof dish and use a vintage warming tray to keep it at serving temperature.
*Note from Heather* This recipe is easily converted to gluten free by using rice flour in place of all-purpose and using a gluten free soy sauce, Lee and Perrin’s Worcestershire Sauce is gluten free, check the brand you use.
Mushroom, Bacon and Green Onion Spread Recipe
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (common white or button mushrooms)
- 1 bunch green onions (scallions, spring onions)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (I used 4, actually, but I’m a little crazy for garlic)
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 cubes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Finely mince the mushrooms. I did this in my food processor, with the steel blade, and using an on/off pulsing motion. Set aside.
- Slice green onions using a very sharp knife, so you can slice them very thinly. Set aside.
- Finely mince the garlic. Add this to the onions.
- In a large heavy skillet, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and set aside to cool, leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Saute the minced mushrooms in the bacon grease until they’ve given up all their liquid and have begun to brown a bit. Stir in the flour, mixing well, then add the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, salt & pepper. Stir thoroughly.
- Melt cream cheese into mushrooms
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the cubed cream cheese, stirring it into the mushrooms as it melts.
- Add the sliced green onions and garlic and mix well.
- Stir in sour cream and bacon
- Crumble the bacon and add to the mixture, along with the sour cream. Stir over low heat just until hot throughout.
Transfer to a heated serving dish and serve with breadsticks, veggie dippers or crackers, or chill thoroughly and serve cold as a cracker spread.
~20 servings 2 TBSP each
Bobbie Laughman is an elder caregiver, writer, and Generally Nice Person, who lives in Gettysburg. Have a question you’d like Bobbie to answer? Just want to say Hi There! Contact her at Bobbie@home-ec101.com