Home Ec 101 (Home-Ec101.com), started by two women determined to manage their households on single incomes, offers a sassy, yet practical approach to all things home-making in the 21st century. After searching for advice on their own household problems and finding only sites offering information based on complicated ideals of perfection or smothered in saccharine platitudes, the pair started Home Ec 101. The site is now run by Heather Solos, where she answers hundreds of household questions with retro flair and her trademark modern wit. Her style helps readers manage a shift to a lifestyle embracing frugality, teaching readers to “use it up, wear it out, make it do, or go without.” Posts include recipes (with a fully-indexed list of hundreds of recipes), created with cost savings in mind, as well as frugal tips on cleaning, cooking and repairs and straightforward, funny takes on the daily struggles of maintaining a household.
Home Ec 101 finds finds a refreshingly diverse audience looking for practical no-nonsense advice on housekeeping and searching for ways to save money of cooking and other household expenses.
New posts daily
Regular themed posts include:
- Menu Monday – Suggested menus and conversations on nutrition or menu planning
- Tutorials on Tuesday – Cooking Techniques
- Fearless Friday – Post about being “brave in the kitchen” and trying new recipes or old recipes in a different way
- Sunday Confessional – Sharing with others something you may be loathe to admit
Heather Solos Bio
Heather Solos, who currently runs the Home Ec 101 blog, started the site in 2007 with friend and fellow mom Ivy Hogan and has since taken it on as her own. Known for her trademark wit, Solos, a work-at-home mother of four, is a former chef who majored in biochemistry and biology in college. In addition to managing Home Ec 101, is a founder of Social Media Club Charleston, a group that strives to share information about social media amongst the Charleston community, and is a part of Blissful Media Group. She regularly speaks about blogging and social media to groups across South Carolina. Solos has served as a featured blogger on Type-A Mom and Blissfully Domestic. In addition to writing a personal blog at Moncks Corner Moments she has been featured in numerous media outlets, including WKRN Nashville, the Charleston Post & Courier, Charlie magazine, Lowcountry Parent, Charleston City Paper and Babble.com.
Statistics/Demographics for Home-Ec101.com
- Google Page Rank: 5
- Unique visitors – Average 88k unique visitors/month from October 10 – October 11
Average 131k last per month 90 days
- Total page views – 1,525,555 last 12 months October 10 – October 11
Average 127,130 page views/month from October 10 – October 11.
543,907 last 90 days
- Average daily visits – 4367 Last 90 days
- RSS feed subscribers – 8172
- Email subscribers – 1297
- Twitter – @HeatherSolos Followers: 4517
- 63% female
- 26% 18-34; 68% 35 and older
- 36% are parents with children ages 0-17
- 53% have an income of $60,000 and above
- 49% are college graduates
Ads are sold through iSocket.
Home-Ec 101 does not sell text links per Google’s TOS, queries will be deleted. There are no exceptions.
For more information, contact: