Did you think oven fried goodness was out of reach just because you have to go gluten-free?
Here’s a simple, magic substitution for you… swap crushed Rice Chex for Panko crumbs and you’re set. No other changes, no mixing a bazillion different flours or buying special bread to make your own crumbs. Take out your aggression on a handful of cereal and call it a day.
Tested. Tasted. Proven.
I really like oven-fried zucchini chips, but find them a bit too fiddly for most occasions. If you have older kids, make them bread the zucchini, it’s a great exercise in patience with a decent pay off. I see these often suggested for parties, but unless you want to keep the oven on until serving time, save them for a rainy afternoon with a craving for some savory, crispy deliciousness.
: Zucchini Parmesan Crisps (Gluten-Free)
: Crisp, cheesy, oven-fried zucchini chips
- 2 medium – large zucchini sliced thinly (use the slicer on a grater)
- 2 eggs
- splash of milk or water
- 1 cup grated parmesan -yes, the cheap stuff
- 1 cup Rice Chex, crushed -if you don’t have a wheat allergy / you can use Panko crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Spread the sliced zucchini on paper towels and lightly sprinkle with salt
- Turn the oven on to 450°F
- Beat the eggs with either a splash of milk or water in a shallow bowl to create an egg wash.
- In a second shallow bowl or dish, combine the crushed cereal, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, a pinch of salt if desired, and a few turns of fresh ground pepper. (If you want to kick up the heat a little, cayenne pepper is a nice addition)
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll or blot the zucchini in the paper towel to absorb the moisture it sweated due to the sprinkle of salt.
- Dip the zucchini slices in the egg wash and then the breading.
- Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes and flip the zucchini slices with a fork or tongs. Bake for another 8 – 10 minutes depending on how done / crispy you like your cheese. Watch them carefully toward the end.
- Serve immediately.
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4