Retro Saturdays are a chance for new Home Ec 101 readers to see something from the archives and allow Ivy and I a chance to spend time with our families. This was originally published in October 2007.
Our governor has asked South Carolinians to conserve water as nearly every county has been upgraded to severe drought conditions. I know, at least in our household, that conservation is more likely to be practiced if it isn’t painful. For our part we’ll be:
- Taking bootcamp style showers and the boys will bathe in only an inch or two of water.
- We already have low flow toilets, so I’m considering following the old “if it’s yellow” adage, but I reserve the right to change my mind.
- Any car washing will just have to wait.
- Each family member will be limited to one drinking glass per day.
- I’ll place a bucket in the sink when I wash produce and use that water for my plants.
- We have a high efficiency washer, but I will be double checking to make sure jeans and pajamas have been worn the maximum number of times possible.
So tell me, Home Eccers, what water saving tips do you consistently practice and what do you do when conservation becomes a must?