This week Publix and the National Pork Board are featuring sirloin pork cutlets, which will be on sale at Publix through February 22. These boneless cuts of porks are great for quick cooking methods like stir fry. Today’s recipe for pork and mushroom quesadillas takes advantage of this quick cooking method. Quesadillas are a great, healthy weeknight meal and as a bonus, they come together quite quickly and pair well with a salad for a complete dinner. (Keep reading, there’s a giveaway just below the recipe).
If you really want to up the health quotient try substituting whole grain tortillas for the plain flour ones. For more great ideas from the National Pork Board, follow their Twitter account @allaboutpork or fan them on Facebook.
If you’re new to the technique of sauteing, not too long ago I shared how to tell if your pan is hot enough to saute and today I’m adding the following video that demonstrates the water test.
Okay, so now that you know how to tell if your pan is hot enough to saute the pork (yes, I’m playing fast and loose with saute and stir fry today, but let’s get started with the recipe.
: Pork and Mushroom Quesadillas
: Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board
- 12 ounces pork cutlets, pounded 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil with garlic or olive oil, divided
- salt to taste
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup green onions, sliced
- 8 oz Swiss or Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 large flour tortillas (9 – 10 inch)
- Stack pounded cutlets and cut crosswise in half, then cut each stack lengthwise into matchstick size pieces. (You may find this easier if the pork cutlets are partially, but not fully frozen).
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a heavy skillet and stir-fry pork for 2 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove the pork from the skillet with a slotted spoon and season with salt, to taste.
- Add 1 TBSP of oil to the skillet. Add the mushroom and onions to the skillet and stir-fry for 1 – 2 minutes or until crisp-tender (in other words, don’t cook the mushrooms to death). Add the pork to the skillet and toss to mix. Remove from the skillet and wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- Assemble the quesadillas by placing 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on half the tortilla, topping with 1/4 of the pork and mushroom mixture and another 1/4 cup of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half.
- Add the final 1 TBSP of oil to the skillet and cook the quesadillas 2 at a time over medium heat for 2 – 4 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges to serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Fat: 38 grams
Protein: 40 grams
Now for the giveaway. The National Pork Board and Publix are giving away the following:
- 8 $5 pork coupons
- Water bottle
- Reusable grocery bag
- Meat thermometer
- Recipe book
to one lucky Home Ec 101 Reader to help you get started with the Good and Good for You Challenge.
How do you get in on this giveaway? Well, it’s pretty simple. Just add a comment to this post. If you want a second chance (and that’s all you get, folks) tweet about this giveaway and copy and paste the URL into a second comment. The comments are the official entry, there is no purchase necessary, void where prohibited. The contest ends Sunday February 26, 2012 at 9pm Eastern. The winner will be announced on Monday the 27th.
This post was sponsored by the National Pork Board, all opinions are my own.