When looking for the perfect watermelon:
- Check the stem. It should be present, but shrunken and discolored.
- Look for a symmetrical fruit.
- Check the underside, buttery yellow is a good indicator of ripe flesh.
- Finally don’t be shy, smack that sucker, it should have a deep tone. If it sounds dull, the melon is over-ripe. A high-pitched tone indicates a green melon. The slapping method works best on the larger varieties, as smaller ones tend to sound green.
- Color is not a good indicator of ripeness, but avoid melons with soft spots or bruises.