Last week was a doozy. There was no plan as I was flying back from Salt Lake City on a redeye and I was buried in the day job until Friday afternoon. I don’t enjoy weeks like that, but it was the best kind of work-related busy.
I’m ready for a normal*, routine week.
It’s time for us, probably not you, to Iron Chef it up a bit and make do with what is on hand. This is where items like MustGo Soup really come into their own. Skillets are also super handy on weeks like this.
Skillets = protein + onions + garlic + some kind of leafy green and maybe carrots or bell peppers served over a starch, in our house it’s rice, potatoes, or grits.
How do you use up leftovers?
Here’s a handy printable to help with your menu and grocery shopping plan. Don’t forget to keep it in a binder to build up a repertoire of recipes that work for your family and what’s in season. Cross out recipes that were a total flop that don’t stand a chance of ever being loved by you or your family and make notes on what you’d like to do next time around for recipes that were received favorably. Not only will these plans help you spend less time trying to figure out what to feed yourself and your family, but they’ll let you have an answer for, “Hey, remember that thing you made with the [x] and the [y]? Can we have that again?”
If you have kids, you can give them their own Our Family Recipes binder when they head out on their own. Just don’t be too detailed so they still have to call once in a while. . .
What are you serving this week?
- Monday – Sausage Skillet
- Tuesday – Soup – To be determined, depending on what’s in the refrigerator
- Wednesday – Red Curry, Coconut Cilantro Rice (for the liquid sub 50:50 coconut milk and chicken broth, toss with chopped cilantro)
- Thursday – Meatloaf, Sweet Potatoes, Green Beans
- Friday – A vegetarian twist on Tortilla Soup – just with lentils and vegetable broth instead of the usual chicken. We may also try buffalo cauliflower bites for a treat, if we do that, there’s definitely be some blue cheese dressing
- Saturday – Lowcountry Boil
- Sunday – Roast Chicken, Carrots, Lentil Pilaf