Dear Home-ec 101:
I had to change a lightbulb in my kitchen the other day and the globe is nasty with dust and grease. Is there an easy way to fix this?
Grimy in Greensboro
I’ll be the first to admit it, I’m a klutz. The only way I’ll be able to pass grace on to my children is if it’s on their birth certificate. That being said, I don’t like to handle glass light fixtures any more than I have to.
Some people swear by hand washing the globes and shields in the sink with a good detergent. Personally, I prefer to run them through the dishwasher and only handle them dry. (Have I mentioned I can be lazy, too?)
For the fixture itself, use a rag or sponge dampened with degreaser, think of products like Method or Pine-Sol. For goodness sake make sure the light is off and never spray cleaner near open sockets.
Finally, a little prevention will help keep your lights sparkling. Always run the exhaust fan while cooking, this prevents sticky grease from depositing on your lights, walls, and ceiling. Also, if you’re a smoker, don’t smoke in the house, as the resulting film seems to be one of the world’s most persistent stains.
Submit your household questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.