Sure beans are economical, but are meatless meals actually tasty? They can be. This vegetarian recipe is better when it has simmered for a while and is perfectly suited for the crockpot.
Black Bean Soup Ingredients:
- ~ 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion – diced small
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 carrot – peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 pound black beans – soaked
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 TBSP vegetable base*
- Garnish (shown with cotija and pico de gallo) other options include sour cream, shredded cheese of your choice or scallions
Black Bean Soup Instructions:
Heat the olive oil in a large pot (or skillet if transferring to a crockpot) over medium heat. Add diced onion and minced garlic, cook until soft, stirring often. Add the grated carrot and cook for another two or three minutes.
Add the water, vegetable base, and beans.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least an hour, two if the beans are older stirring occasionally.
Garnish and serve.
- Mash or puree some of the beans for a thick and hearty soup.
- For the carnivores use chicken stock or broth and add some shredded chicken or turkey
- If cooked in a crockpot transfer to the crock after the carrot is soft, allow to cook on low for several hours ~3.