So, it’s official. I’m on board with the whole Smokin’ Sunday concept. What I need to work on though is the timing.
If you want a look at the process, I used Instagram Stories to document the process, including the much longer than anticipated stall. In the future, I will start earlier in the day, keep the smoker at 250 longer, and use the cider vinegar spritz less often. I’ll spritz more like every 90 minutes instead of the 60 recommended by the tutorial I was using. While everyone was happy with the results, I think the next round will be the winner. Here’s the link for the rub I used, which I will use again. No, I didn’t use McCormick this time around, it was mostly spices I buy in bulk from our local Indian grocer (except the chili powder. Important note, if you buy chili powder from an Indian grocer, you are getting straight ground chili peppers and not the blend of ground chilis, paprika, and other spices we Americans associate with chili powder.)
I’m trying to get more comfortable on video. It’s hard, I struggle with anxiety, and part of that is being hyper-critical of myself. So these Instagram stories are baby steps toward hopefully doing more video work here to make posts and information more accessible here on the site.
So what about this week? Well, we weren’t great about following last week’s menu plan so I still have some naan to use up, so that red lentil curry is back on the menu for this week.
What will you be having at your house? Are you looking forward to making anything special? Have there been any recipes you’ve leaned on to get you through these past months? Anything you never want to see again?
Would a printable help you plan? Here you go.
Do you need help learning how to menu plan? Great news, we’ve got an entire series on that!
- Monday – Red lentil curry, for real this time. I mean it.
- Tuesday – Spaghetti from the freezer, so this will be a nice easy night.
- Wednesday – Chicken thighs, marinated in Greek yogurt with cumin, coriander, and some Saizon. I then grill these and serve them in a pita with tomato and cucumber. I don’t have a name for them, and I’m open to ideas.
- Thursday – Clean Out Refrigerator Night (I’m happy to note that my refrigerator is finally in a much less than embarrassing state, which is a good sign that I’m doing a bit better overall ☺️. It’s funny how we learn to judge how we are doing concerning the madness that is the current state of affairs. )
- Friday – Tilapia with olive tapenade, the little girls will just have butter, garlic, and lemon on their pieces. They have made their opinions on olives quite clear. Baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli.
- Saturday – Turkey noodle soup
- Sunday – Smokin’ Sunday – I think this week’s experiment will be wings unless my eldest isn’t feeling well (We got a letter about COVID exposure from the school) if we do have wings, we’ll of course have blue cheese dressing, and probably salad, too.
Let’s keep sticking this out. We’ve got three vaccines coming. The UK is starting to vaccinate later this week, this is fantastic and exciting news. We won’t be too far behind. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.
How are you managing?