Last week was a failure if you grade on sticking to the plan. It was a win if you judge by lack of trips to the store or drive-through. So, let’s call it a wash and move on to this week.
What threw us so off track? A variety of things, it being ridiculously hot in the house, will this hurricane season ever end? (Answer: Yes, December 1), parenting challenges, yay teenagers, and just the overall ennui and exhaustion that comes from living in a time that is already borderline too stressful at all times.
On a happy note, I did finally bite the bullet and buy the smoker I have been waffling on for a very long time. (As a family of eight, if we don’t go out for BBQ six to eight times, it has paid for itself.) I had been wanting to buy it before Thanksgiving, as Ray has been wanting a smoked turkey.
This brings me to the turkey talk mentioned in the title. Every year, during Countdown to Turkey Day, I try to ask at least once if you’ve ever made a turkey. I also want to know how are you making your turkey this year? I go over a bunch of methods in this post, Cooking Turkey. Also, I really do want to know. Are you making a turkey or even just a turkey breast this year? If so, how are you cooking it?
Saturday night, I put a fresh turkey in the garage fridge for an overnight brine. (I use a brine somewhere between the one Rachel Matthews uses and Alton Brown’s —I didn’t happen to have any jalapenos on Saturday, but they will make it in the brine for Thanksgiving, I missed the warmth.) I rubbed the turkey with a mixture of butter, olive oil, and Chef Paul Prudhomme’s Blackened Redfish Magic, my favorite Cajun Seasoning.
I’m thrilled I did the trial turkey, as I learned the jalapenos are critical (in my opinion), and I’ve got a better idea of how to use my smoker and how the timing will work. While I’m not making nearly the amount of food I normally do, I like to have the timing figured out well ahead of time. The trial turkey took the place of Sunday’s spaghetti, which will get pushed to next month.
Due to leftovers, this week’s menu is also getting a slight shuffle.
Menu Planning helps us stay out of the store and out of the drive-through. Do you menu plan? Could you use a printable to help? Here you go.
What’s on your menu this week? Are you looking forward to any meals in particular? Could I ask any more questions?
- Monday – Turkey Reubens (Rachels), Salt and Vinegar Chips, Raw Vegetables
- Tuesday – Albondigas (leftovers from the freezer, yay)
- Wednesday – Chicken Skewers, tomato and cucumber salad with feta, pita
- Thursday – Clean Out Refrigerator Night
- Friday – Baby back ribs, macaroni and cheese, Brussels sprouts -yes, I’ll be using the smoker on the ribs, I’m linking for the rub recipe. I also need to update the macaroni and cheese recipe for when I add bacon and onions, garlic etc.
- Saturday – Chicken fingers, green beans (probably leftover macaroni, too)
- Sunday – Company worthy Sunday pot roast, gravy, rice, roasted carrots and celery (this recipe will be photographed and posted next week)
Well, we made it through another week, take that, 2020.