Last week I had a 50 : 50 success rate with following the menu plan. We did have bolognese, but it was over a half-hearted ratatouille that I nearly ruined because I was sneaking an episode of Orange is the New Black on my tablet.
Hot weather is here for the duration and we’ve got near triple digits and high humidity until further notice. I’m going to try to work more salads into the rotation, but I hate making salads. That’s a first world problem if you’ve ever heard one, right?
There’s a place around here called Verde, thankfully neither location is on my regular routine or I’d be in a lot of financial trouble. I think I’ll be working my way through their menu over the next few weeks. Their salads are amazing and they use this nifty tool that looks like a couple of conjoined pizza cutters to speed up the chopped salad process. I’ve heard the version they use is at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, so I’ll hold off on ordering the OXO version until I confirm this.
I also know it sounds crazy to put a soup on the menu when the temperature is high, but you have to try it. (I’ll get it posted later this week). We’ve been dealing with some sinus stuff around here and there’s nothing quite like hot peppers to clear your head, at least temporarily.
What are you making this week? Do you need a menu planning printable to get started?
- Monday – Tuna Patties – I’m still searching for exactly how to make this wheat-free. Everything is either paleo (read that as way too involved or on the opposite end of the spectrum just tear up a piece of white bread – also not an option) and BLT salads
- Tuesday – Roasted Butternut and Squash with Soba noodles (buckwheat noodles work just fine, testing a recipe that caught my eye)
- Wednesday – Jalapeno Corn Chowder
- Thursday – Bulgogi, rice, whatever vegetables are suitable for stir frying from the CSA
- Friday – Grilled Chicken over a Southwestern Chopped Salad
- Saturday – Marinated and Grilled Flank Steak over grilled vegetables or salad – this will depend on the CSA contents
- Sunday – We’ll be taking full advantage of the neighborhood pool all. day. long. Hotdogs or brats with sweet potato fries or zucchini / squash fries.
I have a couple of reader questions in my inbox this weekend, so it won’t be all food all the time this week.