This little number is easy on both the wallet and your waistline; it is also surprisingly filling. I served it on onion rolls, but hamburger buns will do.
- ~ 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper – chopped
- 2 ribs celery – chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 1 TBSP cider vinegar (red wine or white will do, too)
- 1 1/2 TBSP chili powder
- optional 1 tsp corn starch to thicken
- ground pepper and salt to taste
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet, add the onion, celery, bell pepper, carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring freqently until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, cider vinegar, kidney beans, and chili powder. Bring to a simmer, if desired sprinkle in the corn starch, stirring thoroughly. Simmer for five minutes and serve.