I’m not the only one getting into this whole back to cooking basics idea. Over on the Home-Ec 101 Facebook Fanpage, Home Eccer Lindsey decided to play around with this week’s Simple Philly Skillet and used what she had on hand -smarty lady!- and shared the results. She shared the a whole album of step-by-step photos and I’ve selected just a couple for this post.
The photo and recipe credit goes to Lindsey Mccollum and I am so very glad she was willing to share with us. Please say thank you, it’s a little bit intimidating to put yourself out there where anyone can be a critic.
: Easy Italian Skillet
: by Lindsey Mccollum
- 1 pk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 med onion
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 box mini farfalle pasta
- 1 pk shredded pizza cheese (mozzarella)
- 4 oz Velveeta cheese*
- Mrs Dash -Garlic & Herb
- Italian seasoning & dried basil**
- Take casings off of sausage & brown in a skillet, breaking them up as they brown. Drain & hold in bowl.
- While sausage is browning, thinly slice onion, and bell peppers. Sweat these until soft.
- Add rotel, chicken broth and pasta to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 minutes until the pasta is tender.
- Add sausage back to skillet.
- Stir in cheeses until melted and creamy. Add a little milk of necessary to make a sauce if cheese seems a bit stringy.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Notes from Heather:
*American or provolone will work well as a substitute
**Lindsey had “Dried basil from my garden” since I doubt she wants us tromping through her yard this summer to stock our own pantries, dried basil from any garden or the grocery store will do.
Thank you, Lindsey!