I didn’t think I would jump on the pumpkin train this fall, but Ray, who can’t have wheat requested muffins recently. So here we are with a Gluten-Free Pumpkin Banana Muffins Recipe.
This is the third time I’ve experimented with this recipe which I originally found over on SavyNaturalista.com. The first two times I made them, I noticed that the batter was far too stiff, with gluten-free flour to work and I added yogurt or milk and honey to compensate. This third and final version, I recorded my adjustments to make the recipe repeatable.
Like most other quick breads, muffins are not magically healthy and being gluten free doesn’t give anyone the ability to eat all they want without consequences. This base recipe will be used for many muffin variations to come. If you feel adventurous think of it as batter base + 2 cups mashed fruit + appropriate spice. If your fruit doesn’t mash, like blueberries, you’ll need to increase the amount of yogurt used.
Important: Muffins are forgiving, but be sure to get the muffins into the oven quickly after they are mixed. The baking soda is reacting with the other ingredients to create the bubbles that keep the muffins from becoming dense hockey pucks.
Additionally – the GF batter will retain its shape and the muffin tops will be a little blobby unless you carefully swirl the batter with a spatula. I hope you will forgive the lumpy muffin tops as no one has time for that around here.
These were made with Krusteaz All Purpose Gluten Free flour, and other flour blends may need more or less liquid for similar results. Start with less yogurt than this recipe calls for and add more until the consistency is just softer than fresh playdough.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Banana Muffins Recipe
There is a printable recipe below this one.
3 cups GF All Purpose Flour (Krusteaz All Purpose Gluten Free flour was used in this version)
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSP vegetable oil (I used peanut oil)
1 cup pumpkin puree (this is not pumpkin pie filling)
2 bananas, smashed
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten just until mixed
1 generous tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 400F, make sure the rack is centered in the oven.
- Otherwise in a large bowl combine the dry ingredients except the sugar: GF Flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl combine all of the wet ingredients and sugar, stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Carefully stir the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients.
- Stir just until fully mixed.
- Spray the muffin tin with your preferred cooking spray.
- Scoop the batter by generous 1/3 cups into the muffin tin. The tin will be slightly over-filled. Smooth the tops of the muffins with a spatula if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
The kids have been enjoying these in their lunch boxes.
Want to try more gluten free recipes? Check these out:
- Gluten Free Shrimp Etouffee
- Gluten Free Dressing
- Beef Stroganoff, Gluten-free and for the slow cooker
- Gluten Free Corn Chowder
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie