Sunday Confessional

Heather says:

I suppose we could call this the Doh! Episode or perhaps it’d best be filed under the “We’re Not Smart Enough to Own Appliances.” Last Sunday dragging ourselves home after a day spent as manual labor, my husband and I were dismayed to find the fridge door slightly ajar. I accused him of not shutting it tightly before we left, he apologized, but the fridge kept running.

And running.

And running.

We wiped and checked the seals, thinking perhaps the gasket was shot. Monday, I listened as the fridge rarely cycled off and the door opened if anyone so much as walked by. I hesitated to call a repairman as I would not be home much of the week.

The next day the fridge worked perfectly. The seal was tight and the motor shut off as it should. Later, I learned that my husband had simply closed the crisper drawer. Can you imagine the look on the repairman’s face? “Hey lady, try shutting the drawers once in a while. That’ll be $75 dollars.” 

Well Home Eccers, the Sunday Confessional is now open. Admit your imperfections and share your blunders so we can all have a laugh. Share your stories in the comments or on your own blog and leave the link below.

 



11 Comments

  1. ThatBobbieGirl on October 20, 2008 at 1:12 am

    uh, I meant my other blog….

    http://thegrocerycartpoet.blogspot.com/2008/10/taking-stock.html

    Sheesh….

    Just call me Too Stupid To Own a Computer — nobody would ever guess that my DH has a technology services company, at least not by my skilz….

  2. ThatBobbieGirl on October 20, 2008 at 1:09 am

    Thanks for asking, Heather. I’ve made my confession on my blog

  3. Angela on October 14, 2008 at 11:38 pm

    I would have to agree with your wife Michael Carnell. My husband has been to the ER so much they would know our names by know if we hadn’t kept moving:) In one year I was in the ER with my husband twice and my son three times. I knew the check in proccess very well:)

  4. Michael Carnell on October 14, 2008 at 8:26 pm

    These are just too funny! Being male, as my wife would say, I do this sort of thing all the time. From mowing our air-conditioner unit (yes, really) while trying to get that one last weed, to running a sailboat under a dock. And then of course there is my flipping myself off a motorcycle – not to mention lowering a car down off a jack on to myself.

    Is that enough evidence against me or do I need to continue??

  5. Mom of three on October 13, 2008 at 11:47 am

    Funny thing is they wouldv’e never noticed except for I was so freaked out, I forgot to turn from PC to Freeze which takes whats coming from the computer off the screen and puts up a black screen, so they saw the computer rebooting at the end of the prayer when they lifted their heads. And, of course, the crash. LOL

    Luckily, soon after that, the preacher broke the podium (the minister of music was visiting and had already skipped a song) so my boo boo was totally minor.

    I figured Satan mustv’e been worried big time about what was going down that morning to take such drastic steps, so we saw it as a minor victory over evil. 🙂

    Technical difficulties are a weekly occurrence when you work in a church sound booth as my whole family does. You get accustomed to it. Gives us something besides the sermon to discuss over lunch. It’ll be a long time before they stop laughing about mom falling out of her seat during prayer. LOL

  6. Heather on October 13, 2008 at 9:38 am

    Bramble, that is fricking hilarious! Once my husband and I were driving cross country and the car developed a short that caused the headlights to flash intermittently. It looked like I was trying to someone to pull over. We were mortified.

    Mom of three, thankfully no sound is better than straight feedback. Hopefully everyone was nice about it.

    Xarkgirl, don’t feel badly, I do something similar with items straight out of the oven all. the. time. I still haven’t learned, don’t think I ever will. 😛

    Angela, I’m glad no one was hurt!

  7. Bramble on October 13, 2008 at 2:03 am

    I once drove around a rental car in the dark for about 15 minutes because I couldn’t figure out how to turn on the lights and i HAD to get to where i was going. So, of course I get pulled over. I’m freaking out and pmsing and bawling my eyes out and the cop is like um…why you driving in the dark? and I’m all this is a rental car and i cant find the light switch. so he reaches in and flips a little button with (get this) a picture of a light on it and tada! I have lights. never felt so dumb in my life. (i hate rental cars.)

  8. Mom of three on October 12, 2008 at 2:02 pm

    I asked three of the cheer moms what we were going to buy the coaches for end of season gifts. One of the mom’s was the assistant coach.

    I figure she knew we were going to do something, we always do.

    Then this morning, #3 was helping in the sound booth at church and accidentally turned off all the power in the sound booth when she dropped a pencil. I reached over to turn it back on, and turned over in my chair. All in the middle of the morning worship service. No power in the sound both is not a good thing. No power means no sound or video.

  9. xarkGirl on October 12, 2008 at 12:02 pm

    Forgive the bad grammar. Just the memory of those jolts scrambles my brain.

  10. xarkGirl on October 12, 2008 at 11:54 am

    Mine was a dryer. I reached in to pull out a load of still-damp clothing and got a nasty shock. Literally.

    Investigation later revealed that an internal wire had fallen onto the drum, the heat had burned through the plastic and voila! A wire that made the entire drum live.

    The Doh! part is that I didn’t realize what was happening, so I did reached for the clothes again. Twice.

    I took it as a sign that housework was hazardous and should be avoided whenever possible…

  11. Angela on October 12, 2008 at 10:46 am

    Mine would have to be the oven. I have started two of them on fire. The first one was while make mac n cheese. Nobody ever told me that self clean doesn’t mean they just clean themselfs when dirty. Greese had gotten onto the bottom and made for a stincky house, oops, I forgot to mention it was 4 days after I had my second child. The second one was 4 years later and in a different state. We were making cookies and found flames coming out of the burners. This one was an eletrical fire and the oven needed to be replaced. Our rent was raised for that one. Oh and it was three weeks before I had my 4 child. beware of the even number children, good thing I don’t plan on having a 6th:)

Leave a Comment