Facebook and Twitter tells me that some of my pals who went to BlogHer are now suffering from hangovers. I’ve not been to BlogHer, but I’ve sure been the recipient of more than a few hangovers. Angelic Ivy says “Everything in moderation, kids. Don’t drink until you’re drunk.” But we all know I’m not called BadBadIvy for nothing.
For those of you inclined to follow BadBadIvy’s advice, here are some tips for avoiding a hangover and curing your hangover once you get one.
Avoiding a Hangover
- Common wisdom says to “line your stomach” ahead of time by eating a light, but filling dinner. If you’re planning on drinking some, but not getting rip roarin’ drunk, this is a good idea. But if you’re planning on getting rip roarin’ drunk, this is not such a good idea. The less you have in your stomach when you’re super-drunk, the better. For obvious reasons.
- ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A RELIABLE DESIGNATED DRIVER OR ENOUGH MONEY FOR CAB FARE.
I can’t tell you how many times my supposed designated driver has forgotten their duty. That’s when some spare cash for cab fare comes in very handy.
- When you decide to quit drinking, start in with water. Drink as much water as you can stand- two full glasses is my usual goal. Much of your hangover comes from being dehydrated. Fix that before the headache has a chance.
- Before you go to bed, take an appropriate dose of ibuprofen. Don’t use aspirin or acetaminophen. Only ibuprofen. I’m not sure why this works, but it works. My dad told me that mid-college and I wish he had told me that sooner. Whenever I remember to drink the water and take the ibuprofen, I never wake up hung over.
- If you feel like you need to throw up, throw up. Get it out of your system. But make sure you drink the water all over again after you throw up. The water’s important.
- Get some sleep. Sleep heals.
Curing A Hangover
- The first and foremost thing to do is drink plenty of fluids. NO caffeine. Drink water or fruit juice, particularly orange juice. Get hydrated.
- If you don’t have anywhere to go, you can always try “hair of the dog that bit you” and drink a beer or a bloody Mary or something. Me, I like a good beer buzz early in the morning. No, wait, that’s Sheryl Crow. Actually, I’ve never tried this method, since if I didn’t have anywhere to go, I’d just lay around and be miserable.
- Take some B-vitamins. This has always made me feel a lot better.
- Finally, researchers have shown what bar flies have known for years, there’s nothing better than a bacon sandwich after a binge.
Okay, Home Eccers, your turn. Tell me some of your drunken stories, or tell me some of your hangover cures!