Late summer is difficult around here. You’ve got the usual back to school hassle and sports starting up with four kids, we enter birthday season mid-August and before any of that happens, I start dreading an anniversary.
For those that don’t know, my sister was killed in August of ’13. It was a traumatic event and for reasons I’m not going to delve into here, it was initially treated as suicide and until her husband passed away in February, we didn’t dispute that publicly. “Justice” doesn’t always happen and I don’t know that we would feel any better if it had occurred.
Like many of you I struggle with depression, for me, it manifests as anxiety. Late summers, for me historically have been the toughest, ’13 just made it that much worse. Now August is nightmares and lying awake hoping to sleep, knowing that if I don’t get enough sleep I’m going to be an anxious, irritable mess the next day, lather, rinse and repeat. This year it didn’t start as soon and maybe it is ebbing away a little more easily. Maybe someday I won’t spend that week reliving the time sitting in the CCU. I wish there was a way to just be able to turn off for a week around now, but life doesn’t stop and those of you with kids know how it just piles on this time of year.
Like many of you, making it through is one foot in front of the other even when we don’t want to. It’s also cutting myself some slack when getting through isn’t meeting the impossibly high standards I love to set for myself.
I keep on keepin’ on, using routines and knowing what’s next, and trying not to kick my own ass when I just can’t do it helps me get through. So here we’re back to menu planning.
- Monday – Carnitas over sopes (this is only my second attempt at the corn cakes, if they turn out well, I may be ready to share them) rice and beans, slaw
- Tuesday – Beef stew (This will also make lunches for two kids for Wed & Thur)
- Wednesday – Macaroni and Cheese with chicken, I’ll add blue cheese and Frank’s Hot Sauce. I let the kids add bacon and roasted jalapenos, if they want. Broccoli on the side. It’s kind of a celebration, a big project should be wrapped up, but I have the feeling comfort food will be high on my list.
- Thursday – Clean Out Refrigerator Night
- Friday – Tuna cakes, cheese grits, collards
- Saturday – We’ve got a birthday and he’s requested Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Sunday – Red Curry – I’ve been substituting eggplant and cashews for chicken, but we will have company so we’ll splurge and have shrimp and cashews.
I may make a crockpot Sticky Chicken for the macaroni if it seems like there won’t be enough stew to feed the crew and prep lunches.
I’ve been considering an InstantPot for a few months now, I’m looking at the largest one, hoping it’ll help keep the kitchen a bit cooler when I’m cooking large amounts for the upcoming week. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts on the appliance? Is it worth the nearly cult following it seems to have developed?
Here’s to a new week and hopefully turning the corner.