This soup goes perfectly with the announcement of today’s contest. While you’re digging through the fridge, pull out all of the things that are on the edge of needing to be tossed out.
Here are the items that Must Go:
- 1/2 meatloaf
- a few green beans
- a tomato with a bad spot
- pasta from Friday’s chicken parmesan
- some cabbage
- tomato paste leftover from another recipe
- green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
What does one do with this motley assortment? Well, I decided to go with a beef base and Italian flavors.
To this I added from the pantry:
- garlic (2 cloves, minced)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (mostly for color)
- Better Than Boulion (Beef) 2TBSP
- Italian seasoning to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil (not picture)
- 2 qts water (not pictured)
First I sweated the celery, onions, and garlic over med low with 1tsp of olive oil.
I added 2 qts of water and the beef base.
I crumbled the meatloaf into the soup and added the remaining ingredients.
I brought the mixture to a simmer and seasoned to taste.
As a final touch I topped each bowl with shredded cheese.
Not too shabby for practically free; it’s a great way to create meals out of things that may otherwise go to waste. What version of Mustgo Soup can you create?