We keep on keeping on. Life got away from us over the last couple of weeks, but it’s the 4th Monday of 2017 and that means a brand new chance to get on track.
We have joined a local CSA*, which means we receive a weekly dividend of vegetables. We have limited choice (I just take what they give) and it is late winter in the LowCountry of SC. This means we are swimming in greens. Yesterday I played with pasta e fagioli and instead of pasta, you guessed it, greens. This week I have a better idea of what’s coming (Thankfully, I don’t mind playing iron chef, I just like to be able to plan the other ingredients with slightly more forethought)
Right now we have plenty of kale, pac choi, and turnips to use up.
At the butcher I bought a chuck roast, two small chickens, and our usual chorizo. The goal is to not hit the grocery store until Saturday. (Except for milk, we go through about 4 gallons a week and there’s just not room in the refrigerator that)
What will you be having this week? Here is a printable to make planning your menu and grocery list simpler.
- Monday Pot roast with spring onions, carrots, and turnips
- Tuesday Kale Caesar Salads with grilled chicken breasts (from the whole chickens, I’m also hoping to post pictures of my father-in-law’s version of Caesar dressing, it’s very garlicky, so it’s good for impending vampire attacks, just make sure everyone in the house has it.)
- Wednesday Chicken Stir Fry using the thighs and drumsticks with the pac choi and rice. I’ll also be throwing in whatever odds and ends I won’t be using for the next day’s soup.
- Thursday Chicken Noodle Soup
I’ll use the bones from the chickens for the stock and the remaining meat for the soup. This is also vegetable pick up day
- Friday Tuna cakes, cheese grits, sauteed greens (as I know there will be more)
- Saturday Tacos (I need an easy night)
- Sunday To be determined based on what’s on sale at the butcher and what the greens situation looks like
I hope you have a wonderful week. Feel free to share what you’re having over in the new Facebook Home-Ec101 Group. We’re just getting started, so it’s a leetle quiet right now.
*Why we use a CSA is covered in what I call the Home-Ec101 Manifesto