Since I owned up to falling off the menu wagon, now I have another small confession. Last week’s menu had two meatless meals that turned into five. The kids had scrambled eggs and fruit, my hands-down, absolute favorite, I am exhausted and not up to cooking for you people meal. Anything that can be done under five minutes is doable, even when I have no desire. I turned the leftover beans and rice into a meatless tortilla soup, between that and the split pea soup we only had meat on Tuesday. Saturday I mooched some shrimp jambalaya from my stepfather -beware people, once it gets out that you’re a good cook, there will be mooching.
I’ve now reached the point where I think I might hurt someone for a steak. Yes, my vegetarian friends, I was careful to make sure I was eating a combination of rice and beans, nuts etc. I don’t know why I’m wired this way, but it’s the reason I may cut back, but I won’t ever give up meat completely.
Here’s this week’s menu, linked items are recipes already found on this site and items in bold are those I hope to add. Now that the heat has broken, it’s less bothersome to turn on the oven.
- Monday Loaded baked potato soup, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches
- Tuesday Beef burgundy, French bread, spinach salad with apple vinaigrette**
- Wednesday C.O.R.N.
- Thursday Chicken melts, buttery cooked carrots, steamed broccoli
- Friday Blackened catfish with a herb sauce for a dip (still researching this idea), roasted vegetables, cheese grits
- Saturday Tentatively pizza, but I haven’t gotten to it in the last two weeks, so it’s just the idea
- Sunday Pulled pork on hamburger buns, macaroni salad, raw vegetables with ranch
So tell me, what’s on your menu this week? Alternately, what are your thoughts -phrased in polite terms, got that- on incorporating meatless meals for budgetary or health reasons? Are you all for it, fairly ambivalent, or completely against the idea? Just for clarification for this discussion meatless meals are not necessarily vegetarian -they could contain broth or stock.