It’s. Hot. So, it’s full on summer menu planning.
We’re having record setting temperatures which means we pretty much do our best imitation of lizards by the neighborhood pool in the afternoons. We tried walking around Target once to just enjoy their cooler AC, but that ended up fairly expensive, so we won’t be doing that any more. (Nothing was truly an impulse buy, it was just all of the little we’ve been meaning to gets added up)
The good news is the spaghetti squash will keep a little longer in the refrigerator. I’m hoping until after this heatwave breaks.
I made this year’s first Tomato Pie. I’m still finessing the gluten free crust. Well, to be more accurate I’m finessing how to get the gluten-free crust from the pastry mat to the pie. Hopefully we’ll have a morning or evening cool enough to turn the oven on to make a more photogenic tomato pie. Looking at the forecast though, it’s an if wishes were horses dream.
I’m trying to be a little better about turning off my computer when I’m “off” work. I’m not good at that, but last week helped a bit with perspective.
We’ll see if it sticks.
If you are just getting started with menu planning, feel free to ask questions, I love playing virtual Iron Chef. If you have a couple of items you are comfortable cooking, I can help you come up with a more varied menu based on that skillset.
Send me a challenge: firstname.lastname@example.org and put Menu Help in the subject line. It could be fun. . . I will need to know if you have any allergies you’re adjusting for and any strong aversions. I’m not going to try to make you like cilantro if it tastes like soap, but I might nudge you a little if you tell me all vegetables are evil.
What are you cooking? Have you been affected by this heat or are you in a region still hoping for summer to show up?
Do you need a printable menu planner?
- Monday – Grilled Eggplant over Wilted Spinach Salad – I won’t be candying the bacon, but the dressing remains the same.
- Tueseday – Stuffed Poblanos, I’ll stuff a couple of bell peppers for the fussier two, refried beans
- Wednesday – Andouille Sausage, Peppers, and Onions over Dirty Rice – putting a Cajun spin on the normally Italian fare – the sausage and vegetables will be done on the grill.
- Thursday – Lentil Burgers – hoping to get the wheat free version on the site this week – and grilled vegetables
- Friday – Oven Fried Monkfish (or grilled if it’s too hot), cabbage slaw, Chipotle Sour Cream, and tortillas
- Saturday – Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Garlic Sauce Salads-oh we’ll be kidless however did you guess
- Peppered Pork Tenderloin with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese over salad
What ideas do you have for summer menu planning?
This post is linked up at OrgJunkie.com for Menu Plan Monday. The link-up host, Laura, is also the author of the book Clutter Rehab: 101 Tips and Tricks to Become an Organization Junkie and Love It!